I was challenged with a bringing a cake to work that was healthy and free from nasties and so I took the pressure of my usual recipe creations and used the gorgeous Madeleine Shaw’s recipe book for a summer themed bake.
The recipe for the cake is below and I added a lemon frosting which complemented the strawberry flavour perfectly.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 170g (5¾ oz) butter or coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (11oz) ground almonds (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 170g (5¾ oz) coconut sugar or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 300g (11oz) strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3. Generously grease a 23cm (9in) cake tin with butter or coconut oil and line with baking paper.
- Mix the ground almonds or gluten-free flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Put the butter or coconut oil, coconut sugar or honey and vanilla into the food processor and blitz until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing to incorporate, then slowly add the flour. Transfer the cake mix to a bowl and fold in the strawberries; stir well together. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes.
(Link for the Maddie recipe: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-3043263/Nutritional-health-coach-Madeleine-Shaw-Strawberry-cake-coconut-whipped-cream.html#ixzz4LUcJmSzK )
To make the frosting I beat some fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of agave nectar into some quark cheese, a high protein lower fat alternative to cream cheese.
Spread onto the cake when it has cooled and add some grated lemon zest for a photo finish!