I made these brownies for a girls Christmas Dinner get together and served alongside some ice cream or cream, warm from the oven (I had pre baked but put in a hot oven before serving to get the gooey caramel).
- 4 eggs (or vegan replacer)
- 60g walnuts (or almonds)
- 400g sugar
- 225g butter or coconut oil
- 60g cacao
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 225g flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk or cream (the cream from the top)
- To make the caramel, combine all the caramel ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium/low heat. Stir and let it bubble for 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a small tray lined with parchment paper. Chill in freezer for 30 minutes until solid.
- Meanwhile prepare the brownies. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and combine with all the other brownie ingredients.
- Spoon the brownie batter into a lined deep tin. Make little wells in the top and add spoons of the salted caramel. Partly cover the top with the brownie mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30mins at 180’C, gas mark 4, until the outside is firm but the centre is still gooey.
- Either serve immediately or leave to cool and then put back in a hot oven for 10mins before dishing-up!